Friday, July 31, 2009

Reaction not a Review


I have been somewhat anticipating the movie, "Funny People". The trailer (that I have watched for 6 months!) is both funny and compelling. I might also remind you that I am not a fan of the Judd Apatow directed recent comedies (40 year old Virgin, etc.). I think comedies should be funny, but what do I know? My idea of comedy is O Brother, Blazing Saddles, Raising Arizona and yes even "Hangover".

So this afternoon we ventured to T-Town to see it. We did not want to see it near home for fear we would watch it with someone we knew. (In case it was raunchy). We were seated early , but just before the movie started, a couple we used to go to church with in Jenks, came in a sat "right" behind us!

The movie (2-1/2 hours worth started and the opening credit scene was humorous. Then it started. For the next 30 minutes we listened to the F-word constantly, all of the jokes these "stand up comedians" were doing was about oral sex, men's appendages, and course sex(in that order as was most of the dialogue in general. There is also nudity which I don't usually mind but this was course stuff). I saw that the story that would eventually get going may be good, BUT

I may be getting old, but one of the benefits is I don't put up with much that bothers me. As a matter of fact in the first 30 minutes I did not see one scene from the previews!

We made it 30 minutes. The thought of two more hours did not seem worth it to me. It may rent the video some time later. It may be the funniest movie you see, but not for me.

The reason I call this blog, "Less Traveled Roads" is I don't necessarily go with the popular flow. This is an example.

This is not a review of the movie. It is a reaction. No stars assigned. PG50

2009 movie #49. It counts because I paid and ate the popcorn.

No comments: