Monday, July 20, 2009

Moon Landing


It was 40 years ago tonight that Carol and I  went over to another couple's mobile home in Stillwater to watch the Moon Landing on a Black and White TV.  This was a major thing for me. I had been following the space program since  my grade school "Weekly Reader" days.  I read everything I could.  I watched "Tomorrowland" on Walt Disney's Disneyland show on TV where they showed space ships, rockets, and space stations that would be common place by 2000.  When I was a boy, we all knew that we would make it to Mars by 1980.  The moon was just the first step.  So during my college days we watched the trips to the moon and dreamed about the future.

Fast forward 40 years.  My kids and many of you have been born since we visited the moon.  It is one of the disappointments  of my life.  Then the USA just pulled a "Palin"(Quit)!   We should have several hundred people at a base on the Moon  and several trips to Mars under our belt.

That it why us boomers hold "Star Wars" and  "Star Trek"  in such high esteem.  Star Trek was on TV during my college days as well.  We took for granted that things would go that way.

Of course, we also thought that cars would be driven by computer without any of us at the wheel by 2000 also.

Today is sad for me.

No comments: