Sunday, July 26, 2009

Contemporary Church

That's almost sounds like a play on words. I go to one. The definition of these churches means first and foremost: "a worship service that while timeless in content is done in a way that speaks to another generation." That is from the Mike concordance and dictionary. WE quit singing songs written before WWII and are now singing songs that were new to us 16 years ago (and probably sound like old hymns to our kids!) We also dress casually now which by the Mike definition means, "If you wear it during the week to work or school, its OK!" Of course now we have adults guys wearing shorts and flip flops to church! So I am wondering just HOW contemporary we want to get. I'm thinking what if we attract life guards and such! We started drinking coffee and donuts between worship and Class time and now people are stopping at the convenience store on the way! I am expecting to smell McDonald's Breakfast Burritos before long! I already hear the cans being opened during prayers. "pop. s-s-s-s-s" How refreshing is that sound! Amen!

Understand, I am not complaining. I don't make the church rules, but I thought God did.
I thought the Bible was clear enough about boundaries, but I guess I was wrong.

I must say though that I got a scare today in church. Last week he talked about Sarah wanting Abraham to have sex with her servant. Today the preacher had one of the teen boys to read the lesson text. It was about Abraham getting circumcised! Yikes! I wondered how far this was going. False alarm. I did get up and go to the bathroom just after he started talking, but when I returned and was relieved to know that there were no "Object lessons"!

Think goodness for Trout fishing! Private Joke!

I may be getting too old for church! I mean for the Contemporary Church singing songs from 1987, eating junk and wearing shorts to please the LORD kind of place. You know me by now! In any other setting this would be a concert. Well, without the Beer! That is only 10 years away.

Another thing while I am ranting: Every one wants to have classes on the evidence that God exists or the evidence that Jesus is who he says he is or evidence that God created the world!

I want a class on the evidence that any of us are paying any attention to what we are actually acting out!


Sorry, something just came over me. I'm sounding like my Mother! Yikes again!

No comments: