Thursday, July 16, 2009

Company Culture


Several years ago as our architectural firm was getting started, most of the staff commuted. (Come to think of it they still do!)  I was already into audio books and I had just finished the first Harry Potter book.  I talked it up and soon our "lending library" began.  As I finished Potter 1, it would go though the office and soon everyone was hooked.  By the third book Hollywood got on board and made the 1st Harry Potter movie.

In my first firm in Tulsa, I once took the entire staff to see "The Empire Strikes Back" and mentioned that one day to the SDA staff. The idea was borne and the whole staff went to see the first Harry Potter movie.  There have been 5 such movies and our firm has gone to all of them.

Tomorrow (Friday) we see the sixth! 

We have a different staff now than when we started (only 3 of us has been to all!).  I didn't know if this group would want to so I gave them the choice of getting off early tomorrow or going to the movie.  They picked the movie!  So the tradition continues and their are two more Potter movies to come.

I did tell them that if this had been a Star Wars movie, attendance would have been mandatory (for creative reasons)!  Harry Potter is close.

Fantasy and architecture share much!

No comments: