Monday, June 15, 2009

Well worn sayings 1: Forgiveness vs. Permission



Okay, chances are you have used the saying:  "It's easier to get forgiveness than permission."

I have heard this the most in business and church.  Yes, church!  The first time was in the late 1980's at a church I attended in Tulsa.  We were always pushing the envelope so to speak and getting into gray areas or areas that some would find uncomfortable while most would find refreshing.

In business, the term could signify taking a risk that could have a great outcome or Not!

This brings me to my story.  Last week I met with a potential church client. It was a large fast growing church in a rural setting.  They want to build a day care center as a service to the community and realized that such a center would require an architect.  I went and visited with the Pastor and Associate Pastor at the church.  We had a great meeting and I was impressed at what they had accomplished in less than ten years.  

I walked them through the process explaining that the State Health Department and the State Fire Marshall will be involved.  I said well I need to inform you that when they inspect the new building the Fire Marshall would inspect the church building as well.  They did not see a problem.

I explained that as I walked through the building, I noticed NO exit signs, emergency lights, panic bars in the doors,  and that the building had the wrong doors.  They just smiled and said, " Well we just built all this (including a large gym/activity center) ourselves.  No body paid any attention then."   I said that had the Fire Marshall visited he would have shut them down.  To that the Pastor said,  "It's easier to get forgiveness than permission." and then he laughed.  They knew what they were doing. They were saving money!

At the beginning I mentioned that this statement is used in "gray areas".  I can tell you that when a Pastor tells me that breaking the law and endangering the church members, "wink wink" is ok if you can get by with it, and if you get caught, plead ignorance or say your sorry.

This doesn't preach very well!

The Country singer, Rodney Atkins sings a song called "Forgiveness and Permission" that talks of going into a bar and seeing a girl he likes.  The chorus goes:

Its easier to get forgiveness than permission.
So why wait when you know what I'm missing?
We could keep our distance
Spend our lives wishing when its
easier to get forgiveness than permission.

The song is on an Album called (of all things) "Honesty"

Rodney needs to go to this church!  Do what you want Saturday, Sunday it will be okay!

Now here is the ironic thing. I'm around a few Christians that practice  this.   You might have to step on a few people or hurt someone to get your way.  The outcome is what counts isn't it?  If someone gets offended, ask for forgiveness.  I mean Christians have to forgive!  It works every time!   

Churches never catch on fire!  If it did happen I bet they could find the door!  The law is keeping us from doing what we want.  I have heard this many times and it sounds like Atkins song.

I still like the quote.  WHEN USED CORRECTLY

They even sell shirts!


No comments: