Sunday, June 7, 2009

Mike has a "run in" with Trust



This afternoon, I went to an important meeting at church.  A group of leaders has been having a series of meeting about (of all things) leading!  The matter of trust kept coming up in the meeting because a minority (one and a half persons) out of 12 would not show trust for any idea that they did not originate or anyone that they could not control.  So-o-o-o, a 30 minute meeting lasted over two hours because the 1.5 minority like to hear himself complain, doubt and mistrust the rest.  The out come was good though because when a vote was taken, even the 1.5 minority voted with the rest of the group because it is better to stay in the group so that he has people to mistrust.  If this sounds vague, good.  The outcome is good for the church.  Trust is still an issue, but MISTRUST has been put on notice.

So-o-o-o I get home and start mowing the yard.  Riding my tractor is great think time and so I used this time thinking about the meeting and the many grand things that I could say about it (none that I can recall now).  At one point and drive by our giant elm that was damaged in the great ice storm and think:  "That tree needs to be trimmed."

Later I am in the back yard mowing and Carol brings  brings back a guy that stopped by to see if we have any trees that need trimming?   I take him to the big elm.  We discuss it. Agree on a price and he starts work.

There is a low stone wall that circles the tree that forms a planter that Carol has just planted.
I start warning him not to drop limbs on the planter or the wall and he says he will be careful.  
I ask do you have insurance.  He says no.  I start thinking:  I don't trust this guy!  He starts cutting the large dead limb and in the process another good limb comes down as well!  Crap, I think.  It missed the wall but if he keeps going no telling what will happen!  I say lets stop with the upper limbs and just trim the hanging lower limbs.  While he and his wife are working , I go to the back of the truck and enter his truck tag number on to my iPhone.  Then I go to to side of the truck and get the phone number off the side.   Now he is telling me about the guy in Sallisaw who stiffed him yesterday.  He talks about people who don't pay.  I don't trust him. he is building a case for making me pay after he has destroyed my low wall.

They get all the limbs and large chunks of trunk down without damage and start to clean up.  I am feeling very uneasy.  I haven't left my spot since they arrived.  I want them gone so I say don't worry about the leaves. I will pick them up with my tractor after they leave.  I pay them and realize that maybe they aren't so bad.  They leaves things look good.

I get on my tractor and circle the wall to gather the leaves.  I get too close and snag a stone and RIP OUT ABOUT 6 FEET OF WALL!

Who can you trust?   Lesson learned.

No comments: