Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Wine Country

Each year I attend the American Institute of Architects Convention. It is a good way to get the required Learning Units to keep my license. I need 12 a year and I can get most of them at the convention through classes and two years ago i realized that tours count too. This year's convention will be in May in San Francisco and today I received an e-mail that registration was open. Understand, there is 20,000 people at this event and I always rush to register before the good tours and such are sold out. (I approach this like I do concerts!) So out of 20,000 I was registrant #230. The first tour I booked was a day long tour for Carol and myself of wine country in Sonoma county. It sounded like a California thing to do and I get credit.

It was ironic because as you know I am reading a Bill Bryson book about Australia. Today he commented about the weird "yuppy" ritual of going to vineyards to see how wine is made. He said it made about as much since to go watch cotton grow, watch it picked, and see how it is made into sports wear.

We do have some weird rituals. I do not know much about wine and would be satisfied with a glass of Welch's. I do like the idea of wine, the pace of life like in the movies where people go to Italy and relax with good food,a good bottle of wine, and look out to the vista in the valley below.

OR I could go to Tahlequah, get a pizza at Sam and Ella's, a good diet Coke and look out at the vista of the street beyond.

Either works for me.

No comments: