Monday, December 1, 2008

Mike sees 4 Freshmen, Maybe?



December 1 We went to Northeastern State to see the Four Freshman Christmas Concert. The Four Freshmen have been around since 1948. I was one. I actually can remember in the 50's seeing this group on shows like Ed Sullivan, Perry Como and such. They came out of the Big Band era and were known for 4 part harmonies and jazz sound. Watching them tonight reminded me of an old Marvin Phillips story about a guy in Virginia who claimed to own the axe that George Washington used to chop down the cherry tree. When asked why the axe looked so new. He said that over the years with continued use he had replaced the handle three times and the axe head twice, but it was still George's axe!



I bring this up because the oldest member of this 60 year old group has been with them for 15 years! They are good with harmony, they played instruments (drum, bass, guitar and trumpet).

Carol mentioned that we had seen another group that sings 4 part harmony recently (the Four Eagles!) The only thing these two groups have in common is guys that sing and play drums at the same time.



I had many thoughts during the concert including:



1. Once they they harmonized, I thought: I need to listen to some Beach Boys. The originals (not the current Beach Boys who only have one original member!)



2. Next week, 1964 The Tribute, a Beatles tribute band is playing in Muskogee. We saw them in Tulsa several years ago and they play the Beatles just like the Beatles. Why weren't the guys tonight called: The Four Freshman Tribute Band? 1964 has been doing the Beatles longer than these guys have been doing Four Freshman!



3. Listening to their 40s/50s pop jazz made me think: I'll bet this is why Rock and Roll was invented.



4. If this was billed as the Four Freshmen Christmas Show why did they only do about three Christmas songs?



5. I can appreciate this kind of music, but I still don't like it.



6. When they were on Ed Sullivan, he would have them sing something like, "Let it Snow, Let it Snow, etc." and leave the stage. I now know why.

I wished that had happened tonight!

Photos: guess who the originals are!

No comments: