Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Slumdog Millionaire



It is an interesting title for a movie. It could have been the title of a documentary on the Wall Street guy that swindled the 50 Billion. But no.

If you have heard anything about this movie, you have heard that it is about a kid from the slums in India that gets a chance at the Hindu version of "Who wants to be a Millionaire". You may have heard that it has a hint of "Rocky" in it. I heard those things too and was not intrigued in the least. Sounded hokey to me. The thing that keep catching my attention is why all the magazines, newspapers, and TV shows keep mentioning it as one of the 10 best movies of the year. USA Today says it is the best. Rolling Stone has it is #2. And me, well I have been thinking about making a list of my 10 favorites of the year. Tonight, we drove to Tulsa to see "Slumdog." Before the movie had been running 10 minutes, I realized that I am not ready to make such a list, I obviously have not seen the best movies yet.

Any list that I may make will have this at or near the top. It is a splendid movie. I almost need to call this a "Film". It is worth your time. You will see how India has changed. You will see what is takes to survive the slums of India. You will see why we and the people of India have much in common yet many differences. I am not going to tell about this movie either except to say if you wait for the DVD, it is your loss. It is worth the trip.

No, there are no Hollywood stars. These are from Bollywood. It is crafted with great care and a hint: Stay and watch the credits at the end!

Note: No profanity or nudity. There is violence but not graphic. It is a good story for most all.

By the way *****stars (5)

No comments: