Monday, December 29, 2008

The News

Yesterday I received my first New York Times. I have bought it occasionally at QT and this subscription is not the best of circumstances because they serve Tulsa but not Muskogee. We have it thrown at my son's home and get it later. There is a difference in papers. The Daily Oklahoman (okc) is far right wing republican (think Fox News in print). The Tulsa World is moderate (meaning they side with the owner's friends but have a little bit of objectivity.) Think Chamber newsletter. Then there is the Muskogee Phoenix who just makes it up as they type. (Motto: There's no news like bad news.) I also read the USA Today which is like Time or Newsweek with a short attention spread. The other two papers that I take are The Haskell News (Motto: Its news to us!) and the Tahlequah paper (which actually is a local paper talking about local things!)

The Times motto has always been, "All the News That's Fit to Print". It is on the Mast Head.
If you read the paper cover to cover, you say to yourself: "These people can really write." Each story is crafted not just reported. Sure the editorial content does not match Oklahoma. But what in New York does? Sure they are liberal, but liberal to us is anyone who does not agree with us (meaning me). But they have talent as writers. As you should know they and the Washington Post frame today what the TV news shows will be be talking about tomorrow.

Yes, their sports page sucks because they are Yankees and do not have sixteen articles about the Big 12. Believe it or not they had NO Sam Bradford mention in Sunday's paper. The Oklahoman gives you his breakfast menu and tells if he has skipped a class today! The Times talks about something called Pro Football?

Anywho I think I will like this. This is part of my mission statement to learn more and more about less and less, until I know everything about nothing.

No comments: