Saturday, October 10, 2009

Who's team are we on?


Several things come to mind as I think about this post. As I was growing up I always thought we (the USA) was the good guys. I always thought we were on the side of truth and right and even when we messed up, I knew we were trying to do what is right for us and the world. In sports I can remember supporting my team and sometimes we won by being lucky, or because the ref missed a call against us, but in any case, I was proud of my team. I can also admit that in later life I learned about partisan politics. I watched and cheered when Carter was defeated because we weren't going any where, but I never remembered hoping he would mess up and that the USA would look bad. I did not like Bush 2 and thought he was crazy at times, but I never wanted the USA to fail.

I live in the only state in the Union that totally (every county) voted against Obama. So the USA looses the Olympic bid and Obama wins the Nobel Peace Prize and all hell breaks loose from the way, way right (50% of Oklahoma). US citizens are openly happy the Olympics are not coming to North America and mad that the President won the Nobel prize! One makes Obama look bad, YEA! One makes Obama look good, BOO!

Guess the message the rest of the world receives. We no longer look like the good guys!

The reality is much more simple. One of the largest Continents on the earth (South America) has never hosted the Olympics and "Most" of the world wants Obama to succeed in making the Earth a better place to live.

It is my hope that we can some how get behind the USA again.

No comments: