Thursday, October 29, 2009

Reliving past projects

I got a call yesterday from the librarian in my hometown. They need a new circulation desk for the library that I designed 25 years ago. When I got there, I realized that it is still the same as it was in 1985. Even has the same carpet (which I might add, has held up quite well. The trip brought back several memories (both good and bad). First the good: This was the first "paid" project in my hometown. It remains one of my favorite projects.

Now the bad or should I say weird.

First a back story. When I was a college student, the American Legion in my town decided to build a war memorial and host a competition for the design. Naturally I entered. When the judging took place there were only two entries, mine and one from the local pharmacy owner (who was a veteran). I had known him all my life, but he was the age of my dad. Well, I won and my design was built. (My first project!) Old Don did not take it very well.

Advance 17 years to my interview for the Library job. Guess who was chairman of the Library board? Yep, Old Don. He was my vote for being hired, for the design, for the colors and anything else that may arise.

It did not stop there. When the local school board hired my firm for their bond issues, he led an active opposition complete with letters to the editor of the town paper about how poorly designed it was.

In 1999 when Muskogee County hired me to do the County Courthouse project, Old Don once again wrote letters to the editor in the Muskogee Paper saying the architect had a poor design.

When I go back to Haskell and see Old Don out in the public, I go out of my way to say Hi!
Yes, He is still kicking! He probably won't die. He will just turn to stone. That might make a good war memorial, come to think of it.

I'll show photos later. But not of Don!

No comments: