Friday, October 16, 2009

Where the Wild Things are: With PaPa and Grandma




Took our wild things to see "Where the Wild Things Are" at the movies and surprise, surprise the Grandsons did not like it! Addison, 3, was restless the whole time and Avery watched attentively but didn't exactly like it. His almost exact words after the movie, "Never in my whole life would I have seen that movie." His main complaint: It was too long! (1-1/2 hours)

They wanted to get home and roast marshmallows.

The movie is very well crafted and I enjoyed that the special effects were downplayed. The creatures were like giant puppets. It was also a hoot to hear the creatures voices were from the likes of Tony Soprano (James Gandolfini), Forrest Whitaker and Chris Cooper. The story and the movie begins with the little boy being neglected by family and becoming a little hurtful himself.
He journeys to the far place of the lovable characters that in the process of the adventure teaches him about his role as part of a family and shows that life is not easy. Good story but it is lost on the young! As the director said, "It is a movie about a child, but not necessarily a children's movie."

All the critics love it but lets see how the kids do. I missed this book growing up but I bet those adults who did will love it.

For me, **1/2 stars. 2009 movie #72.

P.S. On the way home after the movie the boys were reciting a line from the preview of "Astro Boy", "I've got machine guns coming out of my Butt?" Yes, just what we need! It ended quickly.

1 comment:

Lori said...

The got Astro Boy in their Happy Meals tonight and started saying I have machine guns coming out of my butt. To which I said I thought PaPa told you not to say that. Avery said how do you know that?
I just smiled.