Monday, October 12, 2009

Mike graduates Kindergarten

At church this weekend we installed three new Elders to our church's leadership. we had a ceremony and everything. Carol was out of town and hated to miss it, but I, in jest, said that in reality it was just like graduating Kindergarten. My job in the ceremony was to make sure my pants were zipped and that I didn't full off the stage! I know it sounds like I was taking the event lightly, but I'm not. I will take it a little further, though, before my point. We were called up on the stage and given symbolic gifts representing the moment and then were asked to recite some thoughts in unison. All these things were similar to the events my grandson, Avery, went through last May.

We have many passages in our lives. Whether you are 5 years old, facing a big future of many events, or an old guy being asked to be a leader because of our experiences facing many events of the past to prepare for the next challenges, there is a common thread. The ceremony agenda does not matter. What matters is feeling the support from those in the audience and the notion that we are not alone in our decision to move ahead. Whether 5 or 50, 6 or 62, we are not on this road alone.

That is what is worth celebrating!

No comments: