Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Just do it!


Today, I was pondering the class that I would lead tonight. We are studying a DVD series, "Suffering and the Sovereignty of God". This is NOT a superficial study. It deals with human suffering and the why of it. Last week we started a lecture by Dr. Mark Talbot entitled, "All the Good that is Ours in Christ" (Seeing God's Gracious hand in the Hurts Others Do Us). Tonight we finish it. He mentions in his opening remarks of his accident, but never explains. I was pondering this today and so I googled him. I found out where he was and all that he has published, but no clue to the accident. So-o-o-0 I called him!

he was not at the school (Wheaton University, Illinois, but I got his answering machine and then his home phone. I called and his wife answered and then I talked to him! He is a nice guy and immediately sent an email containing 2 documents. There was a writing that tells of his accident, and a more in depth version of the talk we are listening to. He even said call again if anything. He also talked about how his wife usually screens his calls, but let me through. He also surprised that I would call (and a little delighted). he told me that he was writing a new book on Christian suffering. I told him that I felt that Christians do not discuss this subject in any depth.
he said that was why the book!

I must say it was a neat few minutes. I have never talked to an author while I was studying their work. Pretty Cool.

I think I will give old John Grisham a call!
By the way: When he was 17, he fell 50 feet from a Tarzan type rope and broke his back leaving him partly paralyzed.

No comments: