Monday, February 9, 2009

Good Read: The Associate


I am reading "The Associate" by John Grisham. It is a timely legal tale about Wall Street greed and the how far people will go to satisfy their greed. John Grisham is unique because he is not only one of the most popular writers of mass fiction, but he is a Christian. He can and does weave it into many of his books in a way that shows the world the good side of our faith. The story follows a guy through his last year of law school, taking the bar exam, going to work for a large greedy firm.


The part of the book where he waited to see if he passed his exam, reminded me of the day I found out i passed the Architect's Exam. We celebrated by going to the movies to see the premier of "Towering Inferno" starring Paul Newman (the architect) and Steve McQueen (Fire Chief). Talk about a bad movie. My test paid off immediately when I saw all of the things in the movie that were totally not possible such as Architect Newman opening an electrical panel, grabbing a pair of snips and starting to cut live wires.


Now that reminds me of my current peeve with one of my favorite shows, "24", (Though others do it too). Good old Jack Bauer calls the head quarters and says, "Upload the schematics of that building into my cell phone." This envisions that somewhere in the USA there is a file of every possible building plan that is somehow updated daily. Man, would I like that contract!


I don't how I connected the book with "24" but there it is.



By the way the book, moves fast and is a great story. They have already started making the movie of it starring the young actor from Eagle Eye and Indiana Jones 4 (Shia LeBeouf).

No comments: