Saturday, February 21, 2009

Got Milk?




Today we went to see "Milk". It was the only movie up for Best Picture that we had not seen. "Milk" is the story of Harvey Milk, the first openly gay person elected to public office in the U.S. I have been watching Sean Penn since "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" and he is simply one of the best actors of all time. I was totally blown away by his acting in "Mystic River" and this role is the polar opposite of that (as to character). Many, including me, get uncomfortable watching gay guys making out, but this movie is history. (I still haven't seen Brokeback Mountain!) This movie covering an important time in our history when California was voting on Proposition 6 (aimed at letting gays be fired from jobs because of being gay.) It also revisits the role of Anita Bryant (Tulsa gal) in this fight. The movie uses actual news footage throughout that helps frame the story that ends in 1978 when Milk is killed. It is not my pick for best picture, but Sean Penn should probably win Best Actor. I give the movie ***1/2 stars. I give Sean Penn *****star out of 5.

No comments: