Sunday, November 22, 2009

What the Dog Saw: Dog & Child Whisperer!


I always love it when my worlds collide.

As you know I am reading, Malcolm Gladwell's new book, "What the Dog Saw" and last week I finished the section for which the book is named. It centers around the work of Cesar Millan "the Dog Whisperer". Cesar has a show by the same name on cable's National Geographic Channel.

Let me say up front: I am NOT a how to guy. People used to ask me if a watched shows like "This Old House". The answer is NO! I know how, I just don't want to! I can watch Food Channel or not, but by-in-large I avoid such shows.

Which brings me back to the point. Malcolm tells the story of the man who can instantly communicate with dogs and guide them through needed changes in habits, personality, etc. He says that he "rehabilitates dogs and trains owners". He says that the dog's owner must establish themselves as the Alpha Dog of the Pack. the pack in this case is the family plus the dogs. His philosophy is "exercise, discipline, and affection equals happiness".

Cesar, who exudes self-discipline, came to the USA from Mexico as an illegal and began doing the one thing he knew, dog training.

After I read the chapter, I immediately grabbed the remote and found his show on my Direct TV and set the DVR. I am now hooked. I found out today that I am not alone. I picked up the Sunday New York Times and found an article titled, "Becoming the Alpha Dog in Your Own Home." To my surprise the article is about and I quote: "It's little wonder then that some parents and even a few Child Therapists, have found themselves taking mental notes from a television personality known for inspiring discipline, order and devotion: Cesar Millan, otherwise known as the Dog Whisperer." Alex William's article tells of professionals, bloggers and families across the country that say his ideas make sense with kids. One person wrote: "Unlike modern parents, dog trainers don't think discipline equals being mean." The story talks about the problems with pet owners and parents are the same- They are not in charge of their homes and dogs and kids. After all, Cesar shows that dogs take their cues from the master and he explains that demeanor, eye contact and posture say as much as words. Words are empty when actions and movements yell a different story. People are seeing that the Alpha in some families is a 2 year old girl.

Whether you have Dogs or Kids or both, I think they are on to something! Try "the Dog Whisperer". Seeing is believing.

No comments: