Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Men Who Stare



Tonight, finally, was Movie Night. Not that I've just been setting at home. I have been to DFW area the last two weekends. I have been to the Frisco, Texas IKEA two straight weeks buying office furniture. I have toured the Dallas Aquarium. I went to a NASCAR truck race on Friday and a NASCAR Cup race on Sunday. I even watched OSU, OU, Dallas Cowboys and Mavericks in between. I watched the grandsons run in circles and go on our excursions. I have been a "Man who stares at stuff."

Tonight, though, I watched "Men Who Stares at Goats" with a who's who cast of George Clooney, Jeff Bridges, Kevin Spacey, and Ewan McGregor. The movie, weirdly enough is based on a true story. Friday, on the way to Texas, I listened to an interview with the author who wrote the book on which the movie is based. Our country has done some weird experiments, and the movie shows many of the crazy things that the book described. The movie centers on the First Earth Battalion of the U.S. Army that studies things like making men walk through walls, mind over matter, and such as a way to create JEDI warriors. They actually did stare at goats!

The movie is funny in an absurd way, but I was disappointed with the ending. It was like they just said, "Well that's enough. Lets stop here."

I give it **1/2 stars. It is a **star movie, but the acting is really good. A rental.

If you think this could not happen, just remember the story last week about the guy at OU that got $6 million in Stimulus to study the grandparents of Alaskan people!

2009 movie #72

No comments: