Thursday, November 12, 2009

Lunch Stories

I went to Taco Bueno for lunch (wanting some fine dining). It was very, very busy and while I waited for my number to be called, I overheard a phone conversation from the booth next to me. The woman was talking to someone (a relative?) and said, "We have decided, that after we get our tax return, we are going to hire a lawyer and give custody of the kids back to you." Then then said that one of the kid's teachers said that the kid belonged in a reform school and steps may be taken to do just that. The other party talked a minute and then the lady said, "Well, we may have a little money to help you with a car, but that's all." She hung up and said to her husband, "We've already spent too much on those kids and given them a lot more than we should."

I think that was a rather important little talk to be having over Tacos!

Then a friend came in and I invited him to sit with me while he waited for his order and we talked about the economy. He told me that his wife works for an area company and is in international sales for their product. Last year they had a record year and the international sales staff was four persons. Now, she is the only one left, but the corporate office expects her to do as good as they did in 2008. Because it is international, she has offices at work and at home and basically works around the clock! He says that the computer beeps through out the night and certain sounds mean certain clients want to talk and she must respond at once.

My soup was suddenly not tasting as good as I anticipated.

These stories gave me good food for thought. When I get down and think things are tough, I know that about six feet away in the next booth, things are much worse.

No comments: