Sunday, November 8, 2009

Convenience stores and me


I'll have to admit that I've been spoiled, living in Oklahoma. In our young state, whenever you get a neighborhood of 20 or more houses, the first support building for them is a convenience store. This comes before churches, schools, post office or medical facilities. We insist on self-serve gas, coffee, snacks, smokes, lottery tickets and fountain drinks. In Tulsa the center of the world's convenience stores, we have them every mile and there is usually one on each corner. It is the same situation as Starbucks in urban areas. We have Quiktrip, Kum-n-Go, 7-11, and Loves as well as hundreds of independent stores.

I bring this up because we venture to places like Dallas/Ft. Worth, Vegas, Nashville, etc. and you can go FOUR MILES between stores! It is crazy! We are staying in Justin, Texas, two miles from I35, and I have to PLAN a route to get a 32 oz. Diet Coke!

Quiktrip has arrived in the DFW area, but they are still few and far between. When I get to stop at one on my visits, it is for me like going into the Oklahoma embassy. I feel safe.
Everything is where I expect it and everyone smiles and talks normal!

No comments: