Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Suffering along the slow road.

Wednesday, I will lead the first of a series of classes about "Suffering and the Sovereignty of God". In the sessions I will show video lessons given by people who understand suffering first hand. As one speaker says, " The definition of suffering is expectation divided by experience."
Let that sink in. I guess that is why I have a little understanding of it but no expertise. In a ten year span (1979 to 1989), Carol and I experienced the loss of our daughter, foreclosure (twice), forced bankruptcy, death of our dads, almost total loss of income, marriage problems (well you get the idea). The thing is: we made it with God's help. I learned to remind myself that at any given time, I am one week from working the drive-thru at McDonald's or being a greeter at WalMart.

The first class is the first part of a speech by Joni Eareckson Tada (second part next week). It may be one of the most impactive videos that I have ever witnessed (and when it comes to that I have seen a lot!) I have watched it about 4 times in the past week and I do not grow tired of it.
I would encourage anyone who may happen upon this blog to witness it with me again Wednesday night (1-14-09) at 7 pm at the Muskogee Church of Christ. I will also show a companion clip from one of my favorite movies, Shawshank Redemption. This WILL be a good use of your time.

"Get busy living or get busy dying."

1 comment:

H. Shae said...

I really want to come to this class but couldn't this past wed., and we're out of town (DC!!!) next week. Maybe the following week.