Saturday, January 3, 2009

Christmas Leftovers

I am not yet ready to start the New Year in a serious fashion. That happens on Monday. I am still in my Movie phase. No, I am not going to talk only about movies in this blog, but this is the time of the year that I recharge my creative side and that does include as many movies as fits.

New Year's day we hosted our annual family gathering (53 people this year) for lunch. It is a tradition with Carol's family (My mother comes too.) where we all get together for lunch. We have the traditional black eyed peas, hog jowl (fried or smoked)and we have ham, potato cakes, cabbage & sausages, corn and sausage, spinach, brown beans, dips, veggies, salads and slaws, deserts...... Most of it is foods we grew up with but no longer eat except once a year. Nobody misses this.

New year's night we were peopled out and went to see, "Yes Man", the Jim Carey movie. It was great fun and a perfect diversion to be entertained and turn off the brain.

Today, we went to Tulsa to a basketball game and watched Northeastern State play the University of Tulsa. Of course, they were mismatched, but NSU played hard and was well coached. Even though they were beat by 23, Tulsa was not sharp. I was proud of our Redm-Riverhawks.

After the game we stopped and watched "The Reader" starring Kate Winslet and Ralph Finnes. Had we saw it last week, it would have been in my top five movies of 2008, but for now it is the best of 2009 (so far). I am not sure why so many NAZI/WWII movies are out and coming out. I do know that the movies about the middle east have not done well because the wounds are still fresh, but I digress.
The Reader is a layered story that flips back and forth in time between 1958, 1970s, 1995 and current. I know I said it was about WWII but only in retrospect (the war trials). It is the story of a teenager who meets an older woman and has an affair for the summer of 1958. He reads to her. You might be thinking about the old movie, Summer of 42, but this story is much more than that.

When the movie ended, Carol and I probably discussed all the issues of this story more than most movies we see. It is a thought provoking story about decisions of life and what you live with when you keep things inside. Kate W should be up for an Oscar. I give it ***** stars!

Caution: This movie has both sex and much nudity (mainly at the beginning in the affair part).
I did not mind because it was "important to the story!"

Both these photos are the same person.



















So I am 2 for 3 in the first three days of January. Still waiting for Frost/Nixon.

No comments: