Friday, January 30, 2009

2-fer on Friday




Today, I celebrated the end of a lousy week. I got very little accomplished this week. A strange cross of having cabin fever and wanting snow days but feeling too guilty to enjoy the slow down. My mind just hasn't been there! So I recharged. Today at 4pm I went to see "Taken". For you that went to "Gran Torino" thinking it was a revenge tale, "Taken" fulfills your need. Think of it as Liam Neeson as an old Jason Bourne. I was a ride with adrenaline rush, tension, and downright mean guy with nothing to loose. Yeah, it is one of those. I liked it. It does show a big part of the evil world that we would rather not consider, but it moves so fast, you can't consider long. For me it was ***star.

Then we went home let the dog out a little and headed back to see "New in Town" , the Renee Zellweger and Harry Connick Jr. movie. Remember my rant about critics. Here is the opening paragraph of USA Today's review of this movie in today's edition:

"To say that New in Town is the worst movie of this fledgling year is to damn it to faint praise. It may be one of the worst movies of any year. Not content to be merely inane and predictable, it is downright insulting, humorously deriding those who choose to live in rural America, labor in factories or have a strong Christian faith" They gave it *star out of four.

Wow! Who would want to see that movie? Not me. But that was not the one I saw. If you have seen the preview, you know exactly what it is about. As far as inane and predictable, isn't that what we do when we watch American Idol, Lost, The Office , or the news. Most things are predictable and in a pattern that doesn't take a wise man to figure out. It is a romantic comedy! It has been done with "One Fine Day", Bridget Jones Diary, etc. etc. (Renee again). Old Harry even did it once already with "Hope Floats". So what. I knew what kind of movie, it would be and I knew it would end happily. We can use some for sure happy endings now and then.

When I go to a concert, I guess it would be more memorable if the lead singer is shot for a encore, but that's not why I go. New in Town is good fun and does not deride anyone. It does use the typical Hollywood approach to small town folk, but I got over that about 20 years ago.
I won't rate it but I liked it. Comedy's are hard to rate anyhow.

No comments: