Friday, January 9, 2009

A past life revisited


Tonight we went to see "Frost/Nixon" in Tulsa. It is rated PG50. No one under 50 will understand this movie (unless they fast forward two years and watch it happen to George W!).
Frank Langella has my vote for best actor, if I had a vote. This movie by Ron Howard is based on a Broadway play that starred the same two actors. They have lived these roles for a while.
It is done documentary style and mix actual TV footage with reenactment. Langella does not look like Nixon (see photo comparison) but ten minutes into the movie "He is Nixon". I cannot rate this movie as superior to some of the recent movies but it is equal to the best in its own way. *****stars.

The movie brought my past back in the following ways:
1. He was the first President that I voted for. (twice).
2. He was the President that I got close to. When the Port of Catoosa was dedicated in 1970 something, my brother Tom and his daughter and I went to the event. Nixon walked down a chain link fence shaking hands. He came up to us and instead of shaking his hand, I took a picture of him shaking my niece's hand.
3. He left office on our daughter, Heather's second birthday.
4. Watergate was a strange to those that lived it as anything in Politics.

Nixon always was a sad story. He felt misunderstood by the public and misrepresented by the media. He mislead to the country and said it was for the greater good. Wait a minute that's Bush 2!

No comments: