Thursday, January 22, 2009

Presentation




Today we had a lighting salesman come to our office for a lunch presentation. I had a Rotary meeting at noon so I only made the first 20 minutes of his talk. He had stacks of new catalogs and several new light fixtures spread around and even brought pizza. The first 15 minutes of his presentation centered on him. All his previous jobs and how each ended with him being laid off and how he had gained insight along his road. He then told us how he would approach projects when he was designing lighting (like we are now). I never heard his product talk and was happy to leave. All through Rotary I thought of him and the mistake he was making. Having his card, I committed to emailing him my thoughts.

To my surprise, my return to our office found him still in the conference room. Meeting over he was finishing the pizza.

I went in and asked if I could give him some advice. He affirmed. I said, "I don't mean to tell you your business, but I think you need to know what the other side of the table heard today. You started by telling us all the jobs that you were dismissed from. It is not a great way to instill confidence. I give a lot of presentations and I don't believe I would start by listing my failures."

He stopped me and and started a defense saying, "I think it is important for people to know my background and why I am now doing this!"

I said, "It may be important to you, but we have limited time and want to know about products. I for one thought you need a therapist."

I probably need to polish my "beside manner" but I hope he listens or his days in this new job are very short.

Dear Ann Landers: Was I too harsh?

No comments: