Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Those dates you remember

I was in the kitchen of a friend at the age of 12 when the radio over the refrigerator announced that Buddy Holly had died.

I was in study hall in High School my junior year when the Principal came in and announced that JFK had been shot.

The first week of 1968 was a whirl wind for me.  On June 1 we were married and went to Dallas for a Honeymoon. We had to be back in Stillwater for Summer School at OSU starting that week. Wednesday like today was my Birthday(turning 21) and that night I set up watching the California Democratic primary results on our TV.  This was important to us college kids in 1968 because of Vietnam, where many of our futures lay.  I had always had an interest in Politics and was raised in a staunch Eisenhower Republican family (back when most everyone in Oklahoma were Democrats).

I was on the fence. Nixon talked well. Wallace scared me. and RFK made the most sense.

Our little black and white TV had no sound but I could get Channel 6 in Tulsa on our FM Radio and watch Channel 9 in Oklahoma City!  I was setting there watching Kennedy give his acceptance speech thinking:  This is going to be good for the USA.   I was about ready to call it a night when the shots came and the commotion and then the announcement that Robert F. Kennedy had been shot.

That shot changed many college kids including me.  No, I voted for Nixon, but my thoughts kept coming back to WHAT IF?

I don't remember where I was when King was shot, or when Elvis died.

My next big day of remembrance came in November of 1979.  

No comments: