Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The Sapphires - a birthday treat!


I took the day off and slept in.  I almost always see a movie for my Bday but the choices for first run Hollywood movies was slim and none. Yes, there was "Hangover 3" and "Fast & Furious 6" but I won't pay money for that.

There was this independent film at the Circle Theater that we had seen the preview of called: "The Sapphires".  It is the true story of four Aboriginal Australian girls who audition for a chance to train the U.S. troops during the Vietnam war.  They were raised on Country Music and quickly learned Soul Music to get the job.

This story touches on the segregation of Australia, the United States and the troops.  This all happened during my college days and the visuals and news reel footage was spot on as are the fashions, etc.

I don't know how younger viewers would like this movie although it is filled with good music and great acting.

It may be my best movie of the year so far.  It is a comedy but with a bite.

I give it ****1/2 stars  2013 movie 23

The originals below (after the war)

No comments: