Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Car Buying in the Land of NOD

Note: I am sure by now that you have seen the car commercial on TV where the couple wants certain things standard on the prospective car. The salesman keeps moving them to a higher model, but Then the salesman finally says:  "Do you know how selfish you sound?"  I thought that was a stretch. No salesman would say that. Right?

A couple of months ago we started looking at new cars. We finally decided to replace our Prius and went to the local dealer.  We went there at night for a no hassle look see after they closed.  To our surprise they had 3 special order editions with cool wheels, ground effects package and leather interior.

We were not yet ready to get serious but returned this week.  I asked a salesman(call him Mr. B) about the cars.  He acted surprised and pointed at a white one on the lot.  I said, "No, it looks like this." and showed the photo on my phone.

He says:  "Oh, those are our loaner cars."  I said can I see one.  He checks and says that they are "loaned out" and will be back tomorrow.

He calls me today and says that he got one back and they have it ready for me to see.  I go down at lunch look at it. We talk trade in and discount for being a loaner and it all sounds good.  I even talk to the sales manager and we are convinced that a deal can be made, but after the see our car and Carol and I test drive the NEW one.  I make an appointment to come back tonight.

We arrive at the appointed time and Mr. B is busy selling a car and the sales manager hands us to another salesman to go with us on the test drive. So the new guy says, "Well Mr. and Mrs. Morton come this way." We go out to the car and he hands me the key to drive.  The car will not start.  He says to me to tap the brake and push the button.  I tell him that we drive a Prius so I know to do that.  After a while he goes in and gets the correct key.

I ask him questions about the car and he says that he knows nothing about this car.  "I just got here".

As I am backing up I realize: No rear camera.  Then I know that it does not have navigation.

He says: " Just Drive like you own it!" and then "Just don't hurt me!"

When we get back to the dealership, I ask,  "Does the other loaner car have navigation?"  Well we have 2 of them  they might have.  I say, "This is one of them."  He says,  "Maybe it is, maybe not." I say, I have already been told that it is!"  He says, "Maybe so."

I say that I want to look at a Prius with navigation because navigation package has the back up camera, XM radio, better sound system and 4 neat internet apps.

I find one and it is less than the one I was looking at!  He said: "What about this one?"  Wrong color
Him: "We'll paint it."  

I say: What I want is a car that has the neat wheels and leather interior AND the navigation package.

He says:  WHO are you that wants all this stuff?"  I say: "I'm the one buying the car."

I decide to go find the sales manager and we head towards the dealership.  He then says, "Mr Motin may I call you Mike?  And Mrs. Motin what is your first name? She says Carol.

Then he says, My name is NOD. Nod spelled backwards is DON.

I go over the edge and want to see the manager.  He says, "I don't like the manager."  "Just kidding."

"You sure are wanting a lot! I hope you know that will cost more!"

The manager was busy so we head to our car.  Another sales lady comes over for damage repair and asks what we are looking for and says, "Maybe they will send the 13 version of that model."

I say, "You mean that's a 2012?"

NOD tries to say something and I tell him, " I don't like your attitude.  I will not talk to you any longer.  Good Bye."

Needless to say there were many things said that I did not mention.  We were convinced that he was drunk. He was frivolous about every thing he said.  No one offered to find one of their cars that could get the better wheels, etc.

We left the Land of NOD.


No comments: