Sunday, December 18, 2011

Silent Night revisited


Note: I have probably mentioned this before but today's church service made me think again about Christmas Carols in my life.

I was a child in the 1950's, a simpler time where everything was not challenged in the public arena. However, I was also born into a very conservative Christian community. The Bible was taught so literally, so carefully, and so demanding, that there was no opinion allowed. Christmas was celebrated on December 25, but since it could not be proved in scripture our community would not put added emphasis to this time of year. As a matter of fact the "Christmas Carols" in our hymnals might be sung in July or March but never in December.

At the same time during December at my school in Music Class we sung Carols such as "Silent Night", Away in the Manger" and "O Little Town of Bethlehem". We would have Christmas Pageants at school and Christmas Band Concerts using the themes of the Birth of Christ along side Santa Claus.

I fast forward 50 years. Christmas in the Christ sense is not to be found in the Public. Schools can not sing "Silent Night" and Nativity references aren't found in "Holiday Parades".

But alas, My Christian Community, this year, has adopted Advent. We are spending ALL of December talking, singing, and reliving the coming of Jesus to the world and I AM SOAKING IT UP WITH GREAT RELISH.

Today, we sung all the Christmas Carols including "Silent Night". I have longed for this time all my life. I get emotional just thinking about it.

To many of you this sounds crazy to think that a Christian Community is so late to this celebration, but it is sweet just the same. My hope is that ADVENT will remain our tradition.

It seems so fitting that at Christmas, we put Christ back in Church.

No comments: