Saturday, December 17, 2011

MI4: The James Bond for our time.




I was in high school when "James Bond" movies became THE Christmas movie. I remember Christmas 1964 when me and my high school buddies stood in a two block long line in 30 degree weather to see "Gold Finger" at the Circle Theater in Tulsa. I was worth to get the last three tickets. We could not set together but we saw cool cars, cool women, and crazy action. Secret Agents and Bad guys and saving the world at the last second.

Yes, friends I just talked about "Mission Impossible 4, Ghost Protocol". Tom Cruise and company have a great thing going. They left my 3 sequel theory in the dust with this addition. No it is no more real than Sherlock, but it is what we want. The story connects the dots and it has a human quality. It also features the BMW concept car that I have read about. And it is set in two of the world's new cities and the world's tallest building. In my reading I found out that some of the shots of Tom Cruise outside the building were actually him.

It is fun but not serious. It is the traditional Christmas action movie that I want. Not the dark brooding Batman crap.

I give it ***1/2 stars. 2011 Movie 56

No comments: