Tuesday, June 14, 2011

June 14

Today is Flag Day. June 14 means something different to me though. In 1993 on June 14 I went to work that Monday morning and found that I had lost my job. Also on that day, by default, I started a new business. It started in my living room and over 18 years grew into something much larger with as many as 11 staff members and offices in Tulsa and Muskogee on two different occasions. That run ended on April 1, 2011, but June 14 will always be special for me.

I faced a very uncertain future, 18 years ago, but it wasn't long before I came to know that I WILL ALWAYS FACE AN UNCERTAIN FUTURE.

As I write this, I know that I could again loose my job tomorrow. As the saying goes, "I was looking for a job when I found this one." I really believe that it is the uncertainty of life that makes it so thrilling. Yes, I want stability. More than that I want stability for my family.
The problem is that stability is not a promise or a fact. Ask the people in Joplin.

But I celebrate today and believe that June 14, 2012 will be a great day as well.

As one of my favorite sayings goes, "I'm like the Farmer's duck. If it doesn't rain I'll just walk home."

No comments: