Monday, June 20, 2011

Green Lantern!





Okay, I knew that I would see this movie even though the critics hated it. I also knew that, unless they really messed with it, I would like it.

Green Lantern takes me back to the 1950's. It is after school in about 1958, I am walking home and I have a quarter, burning a hole in my pocket. I stop in at Walker's Drug Store. They have a full soda fountain. Coke and Cherry Cokes are 10 cents, Root beer in a frosty mug is only a nickel (and twice as large!). I get a root beer and go over to the comic book rack and grab "Superman" and "Sargent Rock" or "Gunner and Sarge" or "Batman". I set down at one of the round tables in the center of the store and read them while I drink my pop. At least I do if Mr. Walker stays at the back in the pharmacy. Otherwise NO Reading for free. When I finish with my Root Beer, I still have 20 cents left. I buy a Mr. Goodbar for a nickel and a "Green Lantern" comic for a dime. My rule was: You read Superman for free, but you take "Green Lantern" home.

Why he appealed to me, I am not sure. Green was my favorite color; I liked that he was fearless, but I guess it was his overall attitude. He had attitude. Superman was too serious and Batman was always in a bad mood. I just liked the Green man even though the lantern thing was weird.

Seeing the movie tonight, I couldn't remember if I ever knew his origin. I did like that Ryan Reynolds played him with fun. Yes, I liked this story. No it didn't make sense but IT IS ABOUT SUPER HEROS, It's not supposed to make sense. It makes more sense than 80 % of the so called "Reality Shows" on the TV.

One cool thing about Green Lantern: 1. All Superman has to do is take off his glasses and put on his tights and Lois Lane for all her investigative ability can't figure out that he is Clark Kent. Green Lantern's girlfriend thinks he is stupid for wearing a little mask, because she can tell who he is easily.

It is interesting that the Villain feeds off FEAR, but Green Lantern gets his power through WILL POWER.

Good summer movie IF you get in the mood. Drink a Root Beer and eat a Mr. Goodbar and a new world comes before you.

I give it ***stars, because I grew up with him.

2011 movie #30.

No comments: