Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Suspension of Disbelief 5



I saw "Fast and Furious" when I came out at the movies. I even saw "Fast and Furious 2". But I said enough is enough and I skipped "FF3" and "FF4". It was just too silly. So imagine my surprise when critics (who hate macho car chase movies) loved "Fast 5"! I was even more surprised when it made $83,000,000.00 its opening weekend. So-o-o-o-o-o-o I said this one must be fun. After the animated "Rio" was fun and this movie was also made in Rio too!

So we went. The two movies share a lot. There are the aerial shots of Christ of the Andes and there is the animation. Both movies were based on a good computer. Animation and CGI at its best. Both movies are fun!

Movies depend on suspension of disbelief. If for a short time you believe that animals can speak English like humans and have hands, etc., well its a short jump to 2 Dodge Chargers pulling a 20,000 pound safe by cables through downtown Rio at high speeds while knocking out concrete walls, cars, buildings and such and the cars never slow down and never get a scratch! Yes, it is like James Bond. I do think a new record for destroying police vehicles may have been witnessed. There was also so much testosterone on the screen that even the women had mustaches! Again the movie is fun and full of joker side kicks that lighten the mood. It is an eye candy show. It is not a movie to dwell on. It is also a giant Dodge commercial. The Dodge Chargers made Ram trucks look tame. I mean a Ram Truck can pull 10,000 pound trailers (with wheels).

If you like car chases, car crashes, and macho fights and machine gun fights, here it is.

If you like movies that make you think, not so much.

Cool Cars and lots of shaved heads.

I give it **1/4 stars for a popcorn movie.

2011 movie #21

No comments: