Saturday, May 14, 2011

Retreating


I went to my first "retreat" in many years this weekend. In past years I have been to good ones, bad ones, mountaintop experiences and glorious wastes of time. This one was a true mountain top experiences. The Friday and Saturday sessions were led by Randy Harris, a theologian and professor from Abilene, Texas. If I could have filled out a questionnaire and given it to God saying, "This is what I need. Can you help?" The result would have been no different.

We all need to slow down and rethink every now and then. God wants us to do it regularly, but we don't listen. When I slow down and reflect, I see that the things that bother me are small in this big world. The the things that consume me are even small in my world.

Randy Harris talked to us about "Being in the presence of God"; "The importance of following", "the different levels of prayer", and the idea of God wanting to help us "if we would just give him something to work with." (our time")

Everything thing he said helped me advance in my retreat. I could have used another couple of days but I cherish what I received.

I won't tell you what I learned so you can watch and see if I change any.

One thing he did say was, "You can't do anything that will make God love you any more than he already does."


No comments: