Friday, February 4, 2011

Poseidon Adventure in a Cave



Cabin Fever got the best of me today. The only way to get rid of it was go to a movie. AND, like fever does sometimes, I did not have good judgement. We went to see the next James Cameron 3D adventure called, "Sanctum". It is about some adventurers who were exploring the world's deepest cave, something I have NO interest in ever doing.

The movie reminded me of two things.

1. The movie should have been called, "Tension". Tension is the name of a Song by Todd Snider where he has the line: "Just when you get to the part in the movie where the bad guy kills off all the under-developed characters, the good guy kills him off!" In this movie the bad guy is the Cave.

2. The Movie could have been called, "Poseidon Adventure in a Cave". Remember in Poseidon when the few people left were crawling through the ship, they kept coming to places where they needed to get from Point A to Point B. The game becomes, "Okay, which lame person dies this time."

The 3D is wasted. A dark cave doesn't change much in 3D. There aren't even any sea deep monsters. It's just a tense movie of people crawling through a cave or under water. Half the characters didn't even want to be there! And when the popcorn ran out, neither did I!

The break was good, but I have had plenty of tension lately and did not need theirs. I did for get mine though because I set there thinking, "Who wrote this?"

I won't spoil the ending for you. But no one had to cut their arm off (127 Hours) to escape, but suicide and mercy killings are great fun. It is Rated R because they use the F-word for no apparent reason about 5 times (two in the opening minute) and there is a lot of close-up dying.

By the way, if you really like this movie, don't tell me!

I give this movie *1/2 stars because the movie was warm and the popcorn was good.

2011 Movie #4

FYI: Sanctum means: "a place free from intrusion" which I take to mean the Theater showing this movie.

No comments: