Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Life or something like it!



Last year I read the autobiography of Paul McCartney and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was the story of the Beatles and beyond. So, when the Rolling Stones guitar player, Keith Richards released his biography, "Life", I thought it would be fun to learn about the Stones, too. WRONG!

I can say I have been a fan of the Stones, but not Keith Richards. I now know clearly why.

Mr Richards is very proud of his drug use, his many arrests, his sex life and of course the thing he loves the most: Himself. He spends much time talking about people he does not like because they are ego driven and self absorbed and he tells the stories in such a ego driven and self absorbed way. Everyone is faking but him. He after all is the real leader of the Rolling Stones. Mick Jagger is just the singer.

Things I did learn:

1. They started out wanting to be a Black Chicago Blues Band. They loved American Blues and did not want to be a rock band. They could not figure out the "black" part.

2. When they got tossed out of hotels, it was usually planned. Their manager would call the press to say: "If you want to see the Stones throw out of Hotel X, be there in 30 minutes." They wanted to be the bad boys, and they wanted to be the opposite of the Beatles. They enjoyed being dirty (physically and socially). They liked it when the press would say, "Would you want your daughters to be with someone like this?"

3. They got along fine with the Beatles. John and Paul gave them their first British hit. The bands would talk to each other before releasing a new single so that they would not compete.

Things that disappointed me:

1. Like me, Keith Richards lost a child. I started identifying with him as he stated that this is the hardest thing that someone can endure. But then he starts saying things like: "I don't even know where the little bugger is buried or if he is!"

2. He is a soulless person.

3. He is a Jerk.

4. He laughs at everyone that is not him.

5. He loves drugs more than anyone.

I have been skimming the last half the book, looking for something worthwhile. The search is hard. but almost over. If you are interested I would gladly loan out my unabridged CD and not expect them back.

No comments: