Monday, February 7, 2011

Do I take this call?







Saturday afternoon, I was watching the Oklahoma State University Basketball game on TV when my IPhone rang. I looked at caller i.d. and the name was that of the superintendent of one of the schools I work for. We designed a new gym that was completed before this school year began. Instant panic set in.

Why is he calling on Saturday? Did the gym collapse under the weight of recent snow storms? Did the gym floor flood? He is as big an OSU fan as me, why is he calling in the middle of the game? This can't be good! Oh, Crap! (These thoughts were in a nano-second.)

I answered the phone.

He called to tell me that an Internet site dealing with Oklahoma high school athletics called "coachesaid.com" had published an article about the new gym and said how great it was, how it was designed so that people can set on the plaza by the concession and eat at tables while watching the game, and that the lighting was the best of any high school gym, and other stuff.

I missed some of it because I was regaining my breathing, but I said, "I was afraid that you were calling with a disaster story." He said, "No just the opposite."

I liked that call!
This small Class A school is the envy of their competition and so far the gym doesn't leak!

No comments: