Saturday, February 26, 2011

mike turns loose


Today I came to another place where "two roads diverge" (the old fork in the road). I cleaned out the basement at my office. I had collected drawings and files from projects for over 40 years! It was time to quit "hoarding". It took three dumpster loads. All together I tossed about 90 boxes of files and hundreds of sets of drawings and tracings that span every firm that I have been part. There were some designs that I enjoyed tossing, but there were many that I always thought I would keep, but know that they just take up space. I did keep some very sentimental projects. One was a college church design. Another was the first home I designed, and another was the first church project that I ever got to see constructed.

I have worked for the last two days with a lump in my throat. Tossing the past is not easy for me. I am my father's son. My dad never threw anything away!

I have to because my life is entering its next chapter. There is no room. It is time to travel light. If all this stuff had been destroyed by fire, I wouldn't have missed it. BUT, it is the revisiting each drawing, each file and each memory that weighs heavy on my emotions.

I do treasure the memories of some wild experiences like OSU Gallagher-Iba Arena, Laureate Hospital, Muskogee County Courthouse, NSU Muskogee Campus, OSU Tulsa Campus and on and on. These drawings were the albums of my past.

I will not be passing this way again.

No comments: