Thursday, March 11, 2010

Warning Tom and Jerry ahead


Recently the grandsons were at the house and we decided to go to Wally World and buy a movie. We searched in vain for new editions of "Clone Wars" and the boys settled a "Tom and Jerry" DVD. (The same cartoons that I watched at their age "before the feature at the movies".) I put it in the player and the first thing to appear on the screen is this warning:

"The cartoons that you are about to see are products of their time. They contain ethnic and racial prejudices that were common in American society. The depictions were wrong then. They are wrong now. They do not represent Warner Brothers view of today's society. These are shown in their original form. To do otherwise would deny that prejudice existed."

I may be crazy but that statement says to me: "We don't like this stuff, but hey you bought it and this is what you get warts and all. Don't blame us!"

Maybe they could have renamed it: "Uncle Tom and Jerry Springer"


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. My kids were shocked when they saw smoking on the "I Love Lucy" show!
Lori Smith