Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Media Interviews


Believe it or not, I have been interviewed many times by newspapers, TV news & sports, and radio. All the interviews were about projects that I designed or managed. Some have been great like an almost full page story in the Tulsa World about OSU's Gallagher-Iba Arena. Some have been bad like an argument with the County Clerk on the front page of the Newspaper that went for several days. I have been attacked by the newspaper and I have been praised by the paper (The same paper). And when attacked I have caused the paper in retract their story.


This week was my time in the "box again". I was interviewed by the newspaper about the design of the "Oklahoma Music Hall of Fame". The interview took 1-1/2 hours and they used about 10 minutes of it. Then yesterday, a Tulsa TV station came down and interviewed me on camera for what seemed liked 10 minutes and they used about 20 seconds. This, I have learned, is standard. Get a lot and use what makes the story.


I have also learned that you are always on. Don't think that just because they stop the formal interview, they haven't stopped the interview. Channel 2 in Tulsa came to my office for an interview about the OSU project that I mentioned. They had the camera going while I showed the drawings and talked about the project and then the guy laid down his microphone and started small talk. We talked and talked. That night on the 10 0'clock news the clip ran as expected and then the sportscaster says, "and the architect also promised to keep the fans involved" and broke to a clip of me saying that "we wanted the fans close enough to the court that they could pull the hair on the player's legs as they ran by." (small talk) The mic is always on! Sound bytes!

No comments: