Saturday, March 20, 2010

Visiting past projects


Most of us architects can visit the projects that we have created. Most school, church and public projects are easily accessed. When you create a very, very private complex, things are way different. At the beginning of the 90's I was Project Manager for Laureate Hospital in Tulsa. This Center deals with eating disorders, mental illness, and other problems that reach us all. I spent three years of my career on this project. During construction the owner required that I start each day at the project site with a tour of the buildings and meetings with the owner and contractor. By 1980 standards this was a $50,000,000 project. Today it would top $100,000,000!

The owner demanded the best and was willing to pay. Just before the building opened, several of us volunteered to help train the staff by staying in the facility overnight and role playing.

My experiences in this 8 building complex were comparable to getting a doctorate in construction. I have had confidence in every project since. Anything is easy after Laureate.

Today, I got to visit this highly secure place again while visiting a family member. It was a rush. The complex looks as good as day 1. It is a little like visiting an old friend after years apart.
We went to see family and I got to see part of my architectural family at the same time.

The visit made me recall several stories that I will share in coming days.

No comments: