Monday, March 8, 2010

There must be Bozos on this Bus


I went to a public hearing tonight for one of our projects to get "citizen" input. I had to be there at 5:00pm so that interested parties could ask questions of me and to see how the project might affect them. The Hearing with the Council started at 6:00pm. One one came the first hour, but they made up for it at 6!

I had previously told the council that Federal requirements was requiring us to reconsider the amount of work that the budget would allow. Well, well, It seems that one part of the "pubic" thought that I was just trying to get out of work. I responded that I will do anything the City asks, but I also have a responsibility to meet the budget. The next "Public" stated that I was just a negative person and if I had a better attitude then we could get this done. Then she lashed out at the council for a problem she had three years ago and that she had to battle the city and throw a "cuss fit" (her words) to get her way. (I guess that is a positive attitude!) By the way she told her story twice and it NEVER made sense. Here is a quick recap: She is promised a building permit on Friday to cover a project to fix her store's bad roof. She shows up Friday and the permit was not ready. It rained Saturday and the roof leak ruined her computers. If she had received the permit on Friday, there would be no damage. (instant construction I guess)

Well they stopped picking on me and turned there attention elsewhere. Mr. 'You are Lazy' went after the mayor and one council-person accusing them with lying, being stupid, and being against their city. He also recounted several projects where they did not follow his advice, etc. etc. After an hour and 45 minutes of this constructive input, I realized that the public was getting exactly what they came for: "a pound of flesh".

You know, if I wanted my input to be heard and implemented, I don't think I would begin by belittling a town council in Public!

But what do I know? I'm just a negative slacker!

No comments: