Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Afghanistan reading




I am in a week of driving to job sites and today was a two hour trip to South Coffeeville. As is my habit I am listening to a book on CD in my truck as I cruise. Currently I have Greg Mortenson's new book, "Stones into Schools" (promoting books, not bombs in Afghanistan and Pakistan). His first book, "Three Cups of Tea" is in its 159th week on the New York Times Bestsellers List. Yes, it is that good. The new book picks up where the first book ends and tells the story of his work building schools for girls during the wars of this region. He was in Afghanistan when the events of 9-11 took place. This story continues to cast a spell over me, because most of us have no clue about countries that live in endless wars and have been dominated by groups like the Taliban that takes all freedom, joy, and basic human rights from women. I also read "the Kite Runner" and "Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini. These are also excellent reads of fiction based the truth. Mr. Hosseini wrote the forward to "Stones to Schools" which incidentally is raw non-fiction.

So I'm riding around listening to this book and I get the idea to head to Bartlesville for the noon game of the Lone Star Basketball Tournament. Northeastern State Men's team was playing and I have followed them all season (My job site was only 20 miles away and the boss said ok!) Anyhow I settled in to the game and at half time took a stretch and started talking to the guys setting close. Now it gets interesting. One of the gentlemen is Col. James Whilhite, USA, Retired. He has just finished a new book titled, "We Answered the Call: Building the Crown Jewel of Afghanistan". How crazy is that?

He and I talked about his book and experiences. He and his NATO partners established a four year university in Afghanistan! He was working the higher education side while Greg Mortenson was building primary schools. He lectures at West Point and is just starting a book signing tour. I mentioned the book I was reading and he said that he was meeting with Greg in about three weeks.

My journey is indeed unusual. The chances of going to a ball game and meeting a player in the stories that I am reading. It is wild.

I will report on his book when I get it and the one I am reading when I finish. I can report though that NSU won today and so did I!

No comments: