Friday, January 8, 2010

Youth in Revolt in a revolting theater!



Michael Cera is my favorite young actor. I've seen him in "Juno", Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist", "Adventureland", and "Zombieland". He is always good even if he normally plays the same guy. Tonight we saw "Youth in Revolt" where he plays his normal nerdy self AND his cool alter ego at the same time. The previews showed a sweet guy who is still a virgin and is guided by his "other self". Well, it was that and a whole lot more. First let me say it is rated "R" and the language is "R' rated (though not constant). Second there is a little nudity, it is animated! The story sounds like it is a routine teen comedy, but there is nothing routine in this. It has a diverse cast of actors. His mother is Jean Smart, Her ex-husband & boyfriends are Steve Buscemi, Zach Galifianakis (Hangover) and Ray Liota. There are others that you have seen in many films. It is a crazy movie and one that I enjoyed. I can't recommend it because I don't want to be responsible!

Mary Kay Place (a Tulsa actor) plays the mother of a girl the star falls for and during the movie she utters a line only Okies would understand. She is playing cards with her husband and when she lays down the winning hand she says, "Thank you. Here's your change. You always save with OTASCO!" Cool.

Speaking of Cool. It was about 15 degrees outside. In the theater it was about 40 degrees in the concession area, about 30 in the halls and restrooms and about 60 in the theater! Not to say CARMIKE is not on top of things but: I had to get up and go find them so that it was time to start the projectors. Later, after the coming attractions, I had to tell them to turn out the lights in the theater! They were too busy huddling around the popcorn popper. And last but not least their restrooms are still equal to the bad service station toilets of the past. At least the leaking water keeps the place from freezing up!

I give the movie ***stars. The theater gets 1/2*!

2010 Movie #2

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am really Glad i discovered this web site.Added mikesslowroad.blogspot.com to my bookmark!