Monday, January 4, 2010

Angels Unaware

The Bible says in Hebrews, "Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it."

Tonight after a meeting at church I arrived home just before 9:00pm. I had just sat down to eat a sandwich and I looked my cell phone and saw 2 recent calls from an unknown number. I called the number and got a Motel 6 recording. Not knowing any one there, I decided that it was wrong number. Ten minutes later I received a call from a guy that had just got to town and needed money. He was referred to me from another church member. I later found that it had been passed to me through two other people. I listened to his story and it sounded like many that I have heard before. He is going from Dallas back to Northern Illinois for the promise of a job. He is a 62 year old accountant raised Jewish in his home state, but coming to Dallas he was converted to Christianity (non-instrumental Church of Christ to be exact!) When the Bus dropped him in Our town, he had enough money for a motel room and $1.35 left. he is trying to get to Broken Arrow where a Jewish friend from the past now lives. The friend is out of town and won't be back until Wednesday. His answers to my questions were OK, but who knows?

Yes, I would have liked to say, "Sorry, not me." Instead I said, "I will meet you in the Motel 6 lobby at 9:30pm." I went and met him and gave him $50.00 and wished him God Speed. I told him that I didn't know if he was telling me the truth or not, but it was in the LORD's hands now.

Yea, He might be a scammer. How do you know? It may be that the movie, "Precious" or "Blindside" is still on my mind. It may be that passage out of the book, "Tipping Point" where people looked the other way after just studying the "Good Samaritan", and I had just left a Church meeting!

But, maybe it was an angel testing me. It is one thing to pass a beggar at an intersection. It's another when they call you on your cell phone and know your name!

I feel good anyhow.

2 comments:

Prairiemaid said...

May God bless you for your compassion to others and may goodness and mercy continue to follow you.

Aside from that, you have great taste in movies!

H. Shae said...

Thanks for doing that.