Friday, January 22, 2010

#9, #9, #9



Tonight we went to the movies. I want to see the Brandon Frasier/Harrison Ford movie, but tonight I didn't want to see a depressing movie. We went to see the musical "9"! Fooled again.
You know how the previews to "9" show wild up-tempo dance scenes. You sort of expect that to be part of the story. I was not close. Yes, there are those dance numbers with big name stars doing, well, burlesque. The story is about a famous director that is starting a new production but has no script! His life is in crisis. That's all I will say for now.

Because I am a creative sort of person, I am a rarity. A straight guy how likes "musicals"!

No, I did not like MaMa Mia. I walked out after 15 minutes of "Rent". I am one of the few that liked the movie version of "Paint Your Wagon" with Clint Eastwood and Lee Marvin singing!

"Sound of Music" was a classic and a great film. "Chicago" was a lot of fun. But my favorite musical movie is "All That Jazz" a 1979 movie starring Roy Scheider, Jessica Lange and Ben Vereen. I have seen it several times. The scene where the Roy character would get up every morning and look in the mirror and say, "Showtime!" comes back to me from time to time.

The plot of "9" is basically "All that Jazz" with less talent. "Jazz" won 4 Oscars. "9" will be up for some as well. It is a Hollywood rule that Daniel-Day Lewis MUST be nominated for Best Actor. It is the Law. For my money, I would just watch "Jazz" again.

Both are adult movies. Both have creativity. Both have food for thought.

I give "9" **1/2 stars. Jazz would get ***** stars.

2010 movie #4


No comments: