Sunday, January 31, 2010

Communion Cups in Dodge City


Today ,we went to church with our Daughter at their home church in Keller, Texas. As they were passing the communion tray and I tasted that rich flavor of Welch's Grape Juice, the only brand authorized by Jesus, I was taken back to my youth. Why now you ask? Well, my church uses a cheap watery juice and this juice reminded me of my youth.

My family was the janitors for my hometown church. As a kid I volunteered to empty the juice trays after church. This was before disposable plastic cups. These cups were glass and had to be washed each week. I would take the trays to the kitchen and stand in front of the sink and emptied most of the half used cups into the drain. Those that I perceived were untouched, I drank.

Since this was in the days of "Gunsmoke" on TV, I was Marshall Dillon in the Long Branch saloon asking Miss Kitty for a whiskey. (Hey, I was 8!) In the privacy of the church kitchen I learned to throw back a "shot". When I became official a couple of years later, I could throw back that Welch's and leave nothing to waste.

Even the small things require practice.

P.S. My mind doesn't usually wonder during communion. I blame it on the strong drink.

No comments: