Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Snow Leopards & Windows 7, a computer tale




I write my blog on a MacBook laptop. At my office we use PCs. Most of our stations are Microsoft XP units and three of us run Vista.

Around Thanksgiving I ventured into the Apple Store looking around for stuff. Guy Stuff! In the process I realized that the iMac, which operates on an OS system, had an update that makes the MacBook go faster called OSX Snow Leopard. It bought it and installed it on my computer.

About the same time Windows 7 arrived promising to improve Vista. I asked Santa for it and hoped that during the holiday down time I could play with it. I even showed Santa which copy worked the best for me.

Christmas Day, Yea! Windows 7 Professional for Vista!

I hurried to the office and began installation. After about 15 minutes I was told by my computer that Windows 7 Professional Update did not work on my computer because I have Vista Home Premium. It told me to get Windows 7 Home Premium. Note: No where on the box did it tell me that there were different Vista versions. The BIG BOX Store that sold me both the computer and Santa the soft ware does not have Windows 7 Home Premium Update. Since I had opened the box, they did not want my new copy of 7 Pro.

Frustrated, I went on line to the Microsoft Store and found the needed update system for a mere $119.00. (Pro was $200,00.) Being anxious I downloaded the program instead of ordering the CD. So far, so good.

After a while the computer said download complete. Yea!
Nothing happened. No restart. No new icons and no set up. Nothing. It is the Monday after Christmas and all attempts to call tech support resulted in endless waits. I gave up and the new year started.

Today at 2:30pm CST I got in to Microsoft Tech Service, India Office and me and the techie shared my screen for the next 2 hours. He looked at everything and decided that I did not have enough RAM to install. I asked, "Won't the Vista removal create the needed space needed."
YES! We advance. He then shows me that some of my programs are corrupting the system and preventing installation. The items included i-tunes, safari, google tool bar and google earth.
(It did not slip by me that only Apple and Google programs cause problems- their main competitors) These had to be removed. While that was happening, we talked about the movie "Avatar" and then we both took a break and got disconnected. I frantically called India again and was told that they could not reconnect us but they would send him a note. While this discussion was progressing, I am watching the mouse on the screen erasing all kinds of things.

I set there irritated, but at 4:30pm CST I get a call from India. My guy had left for the day and my new Tech, Neetu Gupta, took over. She was working with me and two others at the same time. She starts over. At 6:00pm CST she informs me that since the set-up is starting she is also leaving for the day and will call me tomorrow.

At 7:30pm CST I had Windows 7 Home Premium Update. Only 5 HOURS!

I went home and will check it out tomorrow.

By the way, Remember the Apple Update, Snow Leopard the counter-part to my 7 update.
It cost $29.99 and took about 10 minutes to install (by myself).

Next time you see those Apple vs Microsoft commercials, believe it.

No comments: