Wednesday, December 2, 2009

I'm with stupid!


Today, I had one of those moments similar too when someone asks, "When's the baby due?" when the lady isn't pregnant.


So, I'm at a board of director's meeting today for one of the organizations that I support. Our board is a fun board, very informal, always joking and laughing. I have been on this board a year and am very comfortable with the group. We were going through committee reports and the executive director comes to the item concerning the lady across from me (Let's call her ,Jane Doe). The Director shouts, "JANE, ARE YOU READY FOR YOUR REPORT?" I mean shouts.

Everyone laughs. One or two make little comments about why are you shouting and are you guys mad. Jane smiled and said, "I have been telling her that she speaks too softly". I reply, "I just thought your batteries were low." (hearing aid joke) Everyone erupts with laughter. Everyone, but Jane Doe! She is busy staring at me so intently that if she has lasers, I'm toast. Everyone sees this and stops laughing as she says, "You're a smart ass!" To which I respond, "I guess I am." I add, "I was just joking."
In my defense I checked her ears before I said anything, but I have no idea what button I pushed. For the rest of the meeting I kept my head down, but when I looked up -Lasers.
There was no no laughter for the rest of the meeting. It was like I spit on the Queen and maybe I did.

After the meeting I made a quick exit and back at the office, I sent her a very sincere apology.

If you don't hear from me again- Lasers

No comments: